Saturday, December 02, 2006

Language coolness

Two neat linguistic things struck me in the past day or two, which, me being me, I thought I'd share.

First, I bought a bag of mixed nuts for when I get peckish before my 5 pm class. Looking at the bag, I see on one side a list of ingredients (which I'll spare you) in Turkish, English, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, and Greek. But wait, there's more! Turning to the opposite side of the aforementioned bag, I espy more lists of ingredients, these in Russian, Azeri, Albanian, Georgian (my favorite), Romanian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Serbian, Bosnian, and Arabic. Turkish dried foods: Crossroads of civilizations!

Also, the other night I heard Meltem choking with laughter at her computer, so I went in to check it out. Seems there is a French song that every Turk is familiar with, which begins:
Si tu savais combien je t'aimais (If you knew how much I loved you)
... and a group of enterprising Turkish smart-asses had made a YouTube video for the song with subtitles showing the way the lyrics sound to them, which begin:
Sütü seven kamyoncu TEM'e (The milk-loving truck driver goes to the highway)
and more in that line. The video was damn funny, since they sing with great seriousness, solemnly hoisting a glass of milk, etc. Well, we thought it was funny. Your mileage may vary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heck, I'm laughing just at the play on the first line!

And that is pretty cool about the bag of nuts! Crossroads indeed.