Today, August 11, is a day for celebrating twice over. Number one, it's our sixth wedding anniversary. And number two, it's Meltem's first day of freedom after working practically nonstop since February – first the spring semester, and then right into the summer Turkish course, which ended yesterday to the palpable relief of all.
I was hoping that the latter would degrade Meltem's capacity to remember the former, so that I could surprise her with an anniversary gesture. Almost worked, too. The morning began with nary a mention of the anniversary. At one point Meltem said she was going to phone in a delivery order to the pastry shop across the street, so naturally I jumped at the chance to go out and get her a yummy little surprise: éclairs plus a birthday candle shaped like the number 6 to stick in one of 'em. Alas, by the time I got back with my Secret Cargo of Loooooove Meltem had checked her e-mail and received a nice anniversary e-card from my mom (as had I). So the surprise was semi-blown, but it couldn't have happened in a nicer way!
No comments:
Post a Comment