Saturday, July 05, 2008

Test day

Today, after literally almost a year of planning, delays, snafus and worry, I took the written test to get my Turkish driver's license. Bright and early I trundled myself over to the Asian side and joined dozens of other hopefuls at our desks in a high school which had a brand-new-looking exterior but was a dingy cave within. I'm still amazed at what prospective Turkish drivers are expected to know: everything from legal vehicle weight limits to the reasons a diesel engine might stall. There's also first aid. One question from that section stuck in my mind:

What is the appropriate treatment for a burn wound?

A. Rub alcohol on it
B. Wrap it in gauze
C. Run cold water over it
D. Rub toothpaste into it

As may have been the case with you all, choice D made my jaw drop, and I thought it was a throwaway or joke answer. Turns out, according to Meltem, that some people (peasants?) do think that this is how to treat a burn. Eeewwwwww!

Anyway, now that the written test is out of the way I get to wait until the end of this month to take the actual driving part. That should be fun. Maybe I'll get to prove my mettle as a Turkish driver by slingshotting across a busy freeway the instant I spot an opening barely large enough to accomodate my SUV.

No comments: