The 10th of December is my aunt Nacize's birthday, and the next day is my father's. So, we always celebrate the two birthdays together. Since the 10th and the 11th were weekdays, we celebrated them this last Friday at my parents' place. Unfortunately, Barry could not make it because lately he has been teaching until 9 PM, and he did so again last Friday, and getting to my parents' place from where he teaches would take around one hour with public transportation.
As you can see in the pictures, my brother Hasan and his wife Elif were also there. We brought presents and a cake. Here is a picture of the birthday girl and the birthday boy, blowing out the candles:

Here is my father opening his present, with Elif next to him, and my mom is serving the cake.

Finally, here is us: now, don't be so shocked to see my size. I look bigger sitting and in a picture than standing and in real life. I don't care whether this sounds non-scientific, I am sticking to it.

So, that was the "birthdays party" at Kelepirs.
I would also like to make two important announcements when I have this chance:
1- On Thanksgiving, I also made gravy, which I had not done before and did not have an idea of what it was supposed to look like and taste like. That was one of the dishes I ended up being proud of, and Barry forgot to mention it, so I must. :^)
2- Ozan Watch's name appears as "Meltem's Baby". Now, of course it is not just my baby, but Barry installed it, and he says the tool doesn't let you write Meltem&Barry's (it's too long), he doesn't want to abbreviate our names, and he insists that it should say "Meltem's."
Have a storm-free week!
6 comments:
You guys are so cute!! I am starting to think you guys should start a practical travel blog. You have a lot of info. It sometimes makes me want to go and visit Turkey (okay, I could skip the parts where the transportation is not as exciting as say one of the mosques or a tasty meal you found).
Sounds like you guys are making the most of your time in Turkey. BTW, my birthday was also December 10th. Happy Birthday to your aunt!
Hey Marissa! Thanks for the nice words and Happy Belated Birthday to you! You should definitely come and visit us. I know all the shortcuts in Istanbul, so you don't need to worry about the transportation. :^)
From happy experience, I can vouch for Meltem's fine knowledge of Istanbul (as well as her driving skills!).
I can also predict that, remote as the odds may sound, Marissa is bound to bump into someone (other than Barry and Meltem) who she already knows. :^)
Istanbul is definitely starting to make it's way onto my top 10 list.
But honestly right now I am focusing on my vacation next week--to Puerto Rico. Sand, Sun and pretty drinks with umbrellas that I would never drink here!
And yeah, every once in a while, I run into people I know. Especially when I least expect it.
All right, a comment-conversation right on my own blog!
okay so maybe since it is the end of the year i will post on my blog the top 10 places i would like to visit.
Post a Comment