Thursday, March 08, 2007

Swiss vowels and Swiss bowels

Meltem and I get a big hoot out of watching RTL, a TV network which broadcasts in German (I thought it stood for Radio-Television Luxembourg [or maybe Liechtenstein], but their website is in the .de domain, i.e. Germany). As I have mentioned before, on Tuesday nights they show House M.D. as well as Monk. Last night there was also a very interesting show called "Moving to a New Life," which follows the adventures of people who move from Germany to other countries. Last night it was a young couple who decide there's no future for them in Germany and uproot themselves to... Australia! Both Meltem and I were gripped by the bravery and pluck of these two (the guy's name was Dennis, by the way!).

But the best part by FAR is watching the commercials, especially the Swiss ones. Not only is Swiss German (or Schwiizertütsch) a hilariously weird variation on standard German, the Swiss seem to be obsessed with their intestinal health. There are several commercials praising the virtues of yogurt drinks for just such purposes. In one ad it's just two Swiss women sitting on a bench talking about how if your digestion is good ("guat"), everything is good!

OK, so you can see how I'm getting my jollies here. Gotta go talk about Aztec human sacrifices now.

No comments: