Thursday, August 07, 2008

This driver is educated

Today I schlepped myself over to the Asian side for what I thought would be the straightforward process of picking up my papers from the driving school that tested me last week, then taking said papers to the police department to apply for the driver's license proper. Ah, but I had forgotten that Turkey is one of those countries that gives bureaucracy a bad name. Turns out I need not only the passport-size photos, cash, and so forth that they told me about over the phone – I also need to provide the police with the original copy of my college diploma, as well as a certified translation thereof into Turkish! What the hey?! "Sorry I'm late, I got pulled over for driving without a B.A."

More amusing is the story Meltem's mom related to me that the brother of one of our in-laws, a university graduate and practicing pharmacist, was obliged to hand over his elementary school diploma when he applied for a license. Admittedly, this was 30+ years ago, but it's still funny.

No comments: