
I was just gonna post something about my day, but I realized when I logged in that this is the 100th post on MelbaBlog! So, happy anniversary to us.
My new job continues to go well. It's a very interesting change from the kind of lecturing I'm used to. I used to have a body of material in my brain (e.g. "Islamic art from the 7th to the 14th century") which I then had to transmit, over the course of a semester or so, into the brains of my students. Teaching the SAT is different, because the body of material is, well, the English language and how to use it right. I have 3 students so far. Usually they come for 2 hours at a time, twice a week, but one of them is only in Istanbul for a month, so I've been teaching her 4 hours a day, 3 times a week – whew! Tiring, especially because I'm sorta learning by doing, but it's a good change for me. Plus, today was my first payday (ka-ching)!
Otherwise, summer continues to drag along with no rain in sight. Pretty sad to see the hay-brown lawn outside our balcony. Since there's an election coming up on July 22, the government doesn't dare mess with the water supply, but rumor has it that after the election they will start shutting off the water for some hours each day. Yuck. And speaking of elections, I will be glad when they're over if only because that will mean the various political parties will stop driving amplifier-laden vans around town blaring the lousy pop songs they commissioned for themselves...
No comments:
Post a Comment